73 Child Illnesses Caused by COVID-19 Reported in New York
ALBANY, NY (WENY) - During his daily briefing, Governor Andrew Cuomo revealed there have been 73 cases of severe illness in children in New York state caused by COVID-19.
Cuomo says this is still rare, but symptoms are similar to kawasaki disease and toxic shock-like symptoms. A 5-year old boy passed away in New York City on Thursday from these coronavirus-related complications, and the state is investigating several child deaths. Cuomo says, "This would be really painful news, and would open up an entirely different chapter. I can't tell you how many people I've spoke to who took peace and solace in the fact that children were not getting infected. We thought that children might be vehicles of transmission. A child could get infected, and come home and infect the family, but we didn't think children would suffer from it."
You should seek immediate care if a child has:
- Prolonged fever (more than five days)
- Difficulty feeding (infants) or is too sick to drink fluids
- Severe abdominal pain, diarrhea or vomiting
- Change in skin color - becoming pale, patchy and/or blue
- Trouble breathing or is breathing very quickly
- Racing heart or chest pain
- Decreased amount of frequency in urine
- Lethargy, irritability or confusion
YOU CAN ALSO READ :